Sunday, March 21, 2010


Time to do a quick catch up on the project. I've continued to hunt down parts for the car over the past couple months and I have most of the big items now. In January, I found an OG '61 6-wire turn signal in The Netherlands in original Hydrate Green in amazing condition. I didn't really need the signal, but the color was so well preserved, I wanted it to match the other interior pieces to. Doesn't hurt having a spare signal lying around anyhow considering it's a 1 year only part. I've bead blasted the original and posted some pics of each.

I've also blasted and cleaned the door pillar sections which you can see. After the pillar sections were blasted, I found a rust hole near the bottom fender weld nut, so I bought a replacement panel from Wolfsburg West.






During February, I located some original '61 heater channels and an intact luggage tray in Southern California that I had shipped via Greyhound. They are in great original condition except that the vent flange has been cut off. I can use the channels currently attached to the pillar cuts to weld new ones on.

I've also picked up several NOS parts for the steering wheel including bushings, pins, and the horn cancel ring. Additionally, I bought a second steering wheel for a spare that also included one pin and spring. I think the only part left to buy for the steering wheel is a '61 horn ring. That may be a tricky one to find, so I'll keep hunting.

I've also picked up an NOS front apron as well.

No comments: